Wednesday, March 18, 2009

"I May Owe You a Bag of Frozen Peas!"

So, Wednesday I was unloading the dishwasher when I suddenly started to tap dance in my kitchen. This is not an unusual sight at my house, as the kitchen used to be where I would practice my dances because well, there's no other place in my house (other than the bathroom) where I could actually hear the sounds from my taps on the floor (the rest of the house is carpeted). However, I was not actually practicing a dance, I am just never able to completely stand still, thus I tap!

This wont mean much for a lot of you out there but I did a flap on my right, followed by a flap on my left, and a brush of the right foot, finishing with a single pullback on my left foot; however, I did not land the pullback successfully... Lost my balance and...TaDaaa! Landed on my wrist while trying to avoid falling and hitting my head on the open dishwasher!
This here is the scene of the accident! Right in the area with the kitchen chair, pantry, sharp wall corner, and of course the open dishwasher door! So many Hazards!
It hurt so very much and was very red but I wasn't too concerned about it until I started to notice a rather large bump starting to form... not to mention the fact that I could not move it at all! So I grabbed a bag of frozen peas and sat down to nurse my hurt while finishing watching The Daily Show (Priorities!). I then called Richard to ask him if he'd like to join me on an adventure to the clinic but of course his liscense had expired and he hadn't gotten around to renewing it so I had to pick him up and drive.

Normally, a visit to the clinic will take anywhere from an hour to three or four... but the wait was so ridiculously fast that I only had time enough to call my mother and tell her that I fell, hurt my wrist, and that I had stolen a bag of frozen peas and will probably have to buy her another bag later because it would no longer be frozen (now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure I STILL have those peas in the backseat of my car... Ooops!)

Once the doc took a quick look, and poked and proded and pulled and pushed on my wrist she sent me to the local hospital to get some Xrays!

Again, normally waiting to get Xrays done is a full day event at best! This time while in the waiting room, I only had enough time to notice that they had John & Kate Plus 8 on the television, when I heard from down the hall "Kari Rice"... Then three quick snapshots and I was on my way home!
For the last week now, I have been learning to do things with my left hand or with both hands. Of course the hardest thing to do while wearing the splint is writing and of course I just happen to be right handed... and I really can't write with my left hand either!

Someone told me that she read once that if you practice writing backwards with your left hand, it can either help you write with your left hand normally or it's almost easier to write backwards with you left hand... I dunno about this claim so today during class I gave it a try...
You probably can't really see it but this is what I wrote...

With my left hand backwards:
"I WAS TOLD THAT IF I PRACTICED WRITING BACKWARDS WITH MY LEFT HAND I MIGHT BE ABLE TO TEACH MYSELF HOW TO WRITE WITH MY LEFT HAND.
I AM FINDING IT HARD TO DO IT. IN FACT IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE."

Then I wrote backwards with my right hand to compare:
"LETS TRY WITH MY RIGHT HAND. MY RIGHT HAND IS INJURED WHICH IS WHY I THOUGHT I COULD TRY WRITING WITH MY LEFT HAND. MY WRITING IS GENERALLY BAD. MY BACKWARDS WRITING WITH MY RIGHT HAND IS BAD ENOUGH. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THAT MY LEFT HAND IS MORE WIGGLY."

One final comparison, would be to write normally with my left hand:
"BUT IF YOU LOOK AT MY WRITING FORWARDS WITH MY LEFT HAND YOU CAN SEE THAT IT ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENT FROM MY BACKWARDS."

Yes, I know... it is very sad that I resort to doing something mindless and random like this during class. Don't worry, I am just as dissapointed/sad! Haha!

I never did hear back from the clinic/hospital about my Xray results, however seeing as it has now been one week and I can start to move my wrist a bit more, I'm pretty sure it was just a major sprain!

No comments: