Saturday, June 27, 2009

Mourning Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett

Thursday June 25, 2009 will mark a very sad day in Entertainment History. A long battle with cancer came to a close; and a life of music, dance, and never-ending controversy suddenly ceased to exist. Of course I am referring to the deaths of Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson.

The passing of Farrah Fawcett, while still heartbreaking, was inevitable. Her fight with anal cancer was brave and courageous. I did not know too much about her or her story before, and I cannot say I am all knowing and an expert now, but since having watched "Farrah's Story" on TV last night I have a better understanding and respect for what Farrah and her family endured throughout her fight. I only hope that she is now shining down on us in happiness and at rest.

Unfortunately, on the same day that Farrah succombed to cancer we also lost Michael Jackson, a notorious and larger than life entertainer whose life always seemed raught with controversy. This loss was one that the world was not expecting. This loss was one that the world was not ready for. In fact, as the internet has almost become "the world" to many of us, we could say that this loss practically made the world stop!

Michael's death, due to his age and how sudden it happened (not to mention the simple fact that he was one of the biggest, best and well known entertainers since Elvis and Frank Sinatra), is one of those celebrity deaths where people will ask "where were you" or "what were you doing when you found out that Michael Jackson died?" My answer to those questions still haunts me to this day...

It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon when I got off work. I told my co-worker who was coming on shift after me that I was probably going to nap the rest of the afternoon away. When I got home though, I decided that I needed more Michael Jackson music in my repetoir. As a dancer, I had always been a bit of a Michael Jackson fan but since I got my new computer (and since my cd's got stolen from my car last summer) I hadn't put any Michael Jackson music on my new computer.

So here I was sitting with my computer downloading a couple of Michael Jackson albums. The 25th anniversay edition of Thriller had just finished downloading when I got a text message from my friend Brian "CNN confirmed that Michael Jackson has passed away from cardiac arrest today..." This text message came at 2:59pm of Thursday June 25, 2009. Weird! Creepy!

Of course in all my wittiness I questioned...

Did my music downloading kill Michael Jackson?

While re-reading this post before publishing it, I found it interesting that I wrote that Farrah Fawcett's death was "inevitable". Why did I use the term inevitable? I mean all of our death's are inevitable. We are not immortal, and neither are celebrities.

No comments: