Monday, June 1, 2009

Gong Show Friday!!!

As I sit and think of all the things I should be doing or could be doing but am not doing, I noticed that I have not blogged in awhile. I've been busy. I've been lazy. I've been all of the above.
Today, I am feeling very lazy and very procrastinating-y. I have a bunch load of Statistics homework that I could do but have absolutely no will or want to do. Thus I blog, which to tell you the truth I'm a little apprehensive about as well... only because then I feel I should come up with something worth reading. haha. Oh well!

Let's take a quick gander at the options for what I can blog about shall we: My Edmonton Trip which was now almost a month ago. My loathing for Statistics and school. Friday, in general.

Let's go with Friday in general!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This past Friday was a complete gong show! Earlier in the week, I had had a plan for friday. That plan included Alana, Chevy, and Myself (possibly another person or two but not definite), either Alana's pool or some other body of water, and the possibility of going to see UP! with Jacob later in the evening.

Here's what really happened:
After my doctor's appointment in the morning I called Alana to see what time she wanted to get together. At this point our plan was to have the three of us girls hang out at her place and go swimming in her pool. But now she was telling me that Chevy would probably not be joining us. Thus I decide, ok that's fine. We'll do a random Kari outing that may or may not include going to Harrison Hot Springs.

Note: a random Kari outing usually consists of driving to god knows where, doing god knows what, for only god knows how long. My outings are usually never planned at all. As Richard once said to me "When you hang out with Kari, it's like who knows? We may end up joining the French Army Reserve for all I know!" (Alright, so those aren't exactly his words... I just don't remember what group/cult/organization he mentioned that we could potentially end up joining.)

Anyways... so I hopped in my car and started driving to her place (which I feel the need to tell everyone that it is way out in sticksville). While on my way she texts me saying that maybe Chevy would come and would we be able to pick her up (she lives in a different kind of sticksville) on our random journey. Sure why not.

So our plan at this point now has changed from Alana's pool to random drive, picking up chevy along the way, and ending up at Harrison Hot Springs!

I get to Alana's house. Chevy's not coming. Ok, fine. Let's go to Abbotsford to grab gas and then we'll be on our way to Harrison Hot Springs! (The whole "random drive" thing flew out the window, as whether or not we would be joined by our third party became random enough for us).

In Abbotsford! Woohoo! Gas has been grabbed! Woohoo! Chevy has finalized her position that she is not coming but that maybe we could stop by for a bbq later :P

I'm hungry, so I decide to take a side trip to Birchwood Dairies, the best place in the world to get ice cream! Once ice cream is finished, we hop onto the Trans Canada Highway #1 and WE'RE OFF!

We've got good, loud music, two hot chickas racing down Hwy 1, each armed with photographic devices. The sun is shining. There are no clouds in the sky. The cars are moving out of my way! AND THEN...

Complete Stop!

I think "ah yes, highway 1. Road trip season = Road work season. Sit tight, we'll be back to 100kms soon enough..."

Half an hour later, 0.3 kms later. WTF??? Get out of the car... talk to good looking man with better looking truck in front of us... Apparently there's been some sort of accident. I turn on our wonderfully boring yet very useful "All Traffic, All the Time" AM station... "There is a Semi-Truck that has rolled over on Highway 1 just past Chilliwack. Traffic is being filtered off the freeway using the Annis Road exit. They have shut down Highway 1 from the Annis Road exit to the ____ exit. If you are currently on the #1 heading towards Chilliwack take the Prest Exit."

Here's where the fun actually starts! We had just gone past the Prest Exit at this point. The only other exit that we can get off at IS the Annis Road Exit! Thus we decide, no worries. We still have good music, good company, and the car is not going to be moving very far anytime soon! So we did what any young 20-somethings would do. Crank up the music, have a dance party outside of the car, and joke with fellow highway sitters about throwing a tailgate party in the middle of the freeway!

Little did we know that this was what had happened not too long before our sudden stop!
After the first hour and a half or so, the sun got hotter, the playlist got smaller, our water bottles were emptier and our bladders were fuller. At the same time though, little by little we eventually made it to the Annis Road Exit (only after about 2 and a half hours).

"Yes!" we thought to ourselves. Just one or two turns down this side road that crews were making us go down and we'll be on the beach in no time!!!

45 minutes later a big-rig trucker was heading down the same side road we had been sitting on this entire time (but going the opposit direction) and advised us that we would probably be there for another 2 hrs or so and that we should probably just make a U-y and head back west. So we said "forget this! lets turn around and take the #7 to harrison".

Let me illuminate the timeline here... I got to Alana's house at 11:45-ish that morning, we finally decided to turn around and go to Harrison via the #7 at 4:45-ish.

While heading west we both realized how tiring sitting in traffic was and how burnt our driver's side and passenger's side arms were getting so we decided to forgo going to Harrison and opted to go to Alana's house and hop in the pool instead. Then we decide, actually let's go to Hayward Lake which is just 15 minutes from Alana's house. The closer we get to Maple Ridge the more we both start to think that maybe we should just call it a day and go home. Then we get to Maple Ridge and decide no, let's go to Hayward Lake and at least put our feet in, that way we can say we went to a lake. After about 20 minutes standing in the water we decide to head off and call it a day.
(Note the awesome watch tan...)
I was just about to pull out of Alana's yard when she introduced me to her dog. I get out of the car, pat the dog, talk for a bit and 20 minutes later we find ourselves in Alana's pool doing exactly what our original plan for the day had been. We are such indecisive women!

BUT WAIT... THERE'S MORE!
I left her house at around 6:30pm. I decided that I would make my way over to Jacob's place for dinner and to hang out before he went on a trip. Of course if you know the Pitt River Bridge at 6:30pm going west on a friday evening, you will know that I sat in MORE traffic for about another 20 minutes.

However, all is well! I can see the bridge! I will be in New West in No time!!!

My phone rings...
"Hey, where are you?"
"Just before the Pitt River Bridge. Whats Up?"
"My tire on my bike blew up..."
SILENCE
"Do you think you can come pick me up?"
SILENCE
"Sure, where abouts are you?"
"On river Road in Richmond"
My head was about to explode! You see, geographically wise going east to west starting in Maple Ridge goes- Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Coquitlam/Port Coquitlam, New West, ...Richmond. So over the bridge I go on my way to good ol Richmond. I turn once again to our "All Traffic, All the Time" station to see what the Queensborough bridge would be like ... "There is a stall in the right hand lane on the Queensborough bridge. It is blocking the right hand lane and it is backed up to 8th (which is in New West...).

Luckily by the time I got to the bridge whatever happened had been cleared. I picked up Jacob and his bike at a random gas station and drove us home. It was 8:30 pm when we finally got to his apartment. I Looked in the fridge and asked "Do you want a Rickards Red or Honey Brown? I'm having the White!!!"

I needed that beer!

No comments: